11.14.2013

Dirty 30 Mustache Bash Cake Tutorial

These 2 boys turned the big 3-0 about 6 weeks apart from each other this fall, so I threw them a Dirty 30 Mustache Bash at the box!


The morning of their party they celebrated with a Dirty 30 Birthday WOD, and as you can see, Brandon really embraced the mustache theme!  He creeped me out all weekend long, ha!

I did a terrible job of taking pictures of all the party details, since, ya know, I wasn't really blogging then.  Ughh.  But if you ever throw a mustache themed event (gender reveal, boy baby shower, kid birthday party, etc.), feel free to ask away about the details, I'm happy to share!

I knew I needed a mustache cake for this party!  It was a must!!  I saw this pin on Pinterest a while ago & my inner baker felt inspired!

The link from this pin is broken :(

Basically, you cut a yin-yang in a circle cake, flip one half and match the larger circles to form a mustache, ice & voila!

A few weeks prior I made a trial run cake.  I needed to perfect my craft & of course sample the recipe.  Had to make sure it was good! :)



My trial run was a success!  The recipe was a keeper & the shape turned out pretty well for being free handed.  I needed a way to fool-proof cutting the yin-yang, though, so it would be exact!  I finally realized I could print one out, cut it, and trace it while cutting the cake.  I was able to blow up the yin-yang to 9 inches in a Microsoft document, print, cut and trace & it worked like a charm!!

Here is the final Mustache Bash double layer Mustache Cake!  I was quite impressed with myself, to be honest!



The cake was definitely a hit at the party!!  Everyone thought it was adorable & they couldn't believe I made it!  Every last slice was eaten, so it's safe to say it was delish!  I, of course, turned to Elana's Pantry to find a gluten free cake and icing recipe.  Obviously, the recipes did not disappoint! Happy baking!!



1/2 c coconut flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 eggs
1/2 c grapeseed oil
1/2 c agave nectar
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  Blend wet ingredients in a small bowl.  Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients with a mixer or hand blender until smooth.  Pour batter into well oiled 12 cup muffin pan (or 9 in cake pan) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Cool completely before icing.

**Back off the oven temp to 300 and bake for 1 1/2 the time (30 minutes) in order to have a flatter cake for layering, mustache creating and icing.



1 c dark chocolate chunks
1/2 c grapeseed oil
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt

Melt chocolate & grapeseed oil over very low heat in a saucepan.  Stir in agave, vanilla & salt. Place frosting in freezer to chill and thicken for 15 minutes.  Remove from freezer & whip with hand blender until smooth & fluffy.  (I totally forgot this step & I think it would've been helpful!  Whoops!) Frost over cake.



3 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

Super cute and impressive! I'm going to attempt to make Shelby's smash cake for her birthday! Ruffle icing! ;-0

Maran (HeyHawleywood) said...

YAY for mustache bashs! Love that cake!! OMG!

Rachel said...

We had so much fun at the party...and you're right. It was a cute and yummy cake!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS