6.15.2011

Breakfast, Dinner, & Dessert

I told y'all I'd be back sooner rather than later!  Psh...sooner like the very next day :)  All this free time is going to my head!  Ha, but I'm ok with it!!

I love stealing new recipes off blogs and websites so I thought I'd share some I've tried lately!

Let's start with breakfast, probably my favorite meal of the day!  I love Banana Bread and B does, too.  In fact, I typically buy extra bananas just to let them over ripen so I can make some!  I always use my Mom's Banana Bread recipe.  Not sure where she got it, but I got it from her, ha, so I just call it....Mom's Banana Bread!  This recipe is sans nuts, but if you fancy, I suppose you could add them in. Last time I made it though, I made banana bread muffins :) The only change is the pan you use and the cooking time!  Easy peasy.

Mom's Banana Bread

                      
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c all purpose flour 
(although lately, I've been doing 3/4 all purpose, 3/4 whole wheat flour and it's just as awesome!)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2-3 over-ripe bananas 

Mix together.  For Banana Bread: pour into greased bread pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes.  For Banana Bread Muffins: pour into greased or lined muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 20-30 minutes.  *I like to sprinkle brown sugar on top (bread or muffins) for a little added touch!*

On to dinner!  My friend Ashley posted a pasta recipe on her blog a few weeks ago and it looked delish so I thought I would give it a try! What I love about recipes is there's always room for tweaking to make it your own or more appealing to the taste buds in your house.  Ashley and her hubs love sun-dried tomatoes so she doubled the amount, but we just kinda like them over here so I followed the recommended amount.

Mascarpone Pasta with Chicken


I tweaked it in the fact that I used penne pasta, I think you could probably use any type you want.  I also threw the spinach and sun dried tomatoes into the pan with the chicken when I added the garlic so they could warm up and the spinach could wilt, instead of adding it to the pasta at the end.  Next time I make it, I'll probably use a little more mascarpone as well!  It was so good, though and I had it for leftovers ones or twice, too :)

Ok I lied, I love breakfast and dessert!!  I have a major sweet tooth, it can't be denied (sadly).  Have you ever had Nutella?  Brandon and I discovered Nutella in Puerto Rico (of all places! ha)!! 


It's is a hazelnut chocolate spread and is TO. DIE. FOR.  Its awesome on bread, toast, any fruit, in a spoon, however!!  Ha, needless to say we love it and I decided to make Brandon a Nutella Pie for Valentines day.  I found the recipe online somewhere and it was originally a peanut butter pie recipe!  The lady swapped out the PB for the Nutella.  So if you're looking for a PB pie recipe also, this could work!  

I made the pie again recently for our friends' engagement party, but tweaked it a little this time around :)  When I made it for Valentine's Day, I used a pre-made graham cracker pie crust and topped it with a layer of Cool Whip and drizzled chocolate syrup.  


This time around I one and a halved (is that correct grammer??  ha) the recipe because it was for a party and I made my own graham cracker crust so I could make it in a 9x13 pan.  I used a layer of Cool Whip again and then chocolate chips as the topping instead of chocolate syrup drizzle.  I think the topping choices are endless, so play around!!  Also, B suggested I freeze it this time so its a little more firm.  Last time it was very creamy and soft.  I think I like frozen better :)

Nutella Pie


8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened, at room temperature
1 c Powdered Sugar
1/2 c + 2 heaping tbsp Nutella
16 oz Cool Whip
1 pre-made graham cracker pie crust
Toppings of your choice 
(more Cool Whip needed if wishing to top with a layer of it)


In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, Nutella, and Cool Whip until well blended. (The original PB pie recipe called for 1/2 c peanut butter, so you could always start with 1/2 c Nutella and adjust to taste). Pour into the pre-made pie crust. Next, top the pie however you’d like. (I like the layer of Cool Whip and then other toppings as you choose.) Refrigerate (or FREEZE in my opinion) for at least one hour and enjoy!
The graham cracker crust recipe I used can be found here.  If you try any out, let me know!!  Bon Appetit!

1 comment:

Erin said...

I want your mom's cake and icing recipe...I can't remember what it's called but she always made it for birthdays and stuff!! That was soooo good! I'm going to have to try this nutella pie thing though!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS